Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Right, Left Column Exercise

I took part in this exercise under the direction of Peter Senge several years ago. I was a university professor on a team of individuals from Halliburton, Schlumberger, and a number of other well known companies. What I was surprised to find out is that in every organization there are people who do not say what they are really thinking. This results in false consensus, a state where everyone thinks everyone else is doing what they they really want to do, when in fact, one really believes that the direction is one that should be pursued. In management literature this is referred to as the Ablilene Paradox.

This exercise in the Fifth Discipline is designed to teach individuals the skills needed to understand the difference between what is said and what is thought. It further calls for reflection to demonstrate how misunderstandings can occur at any level from dyadic (two) pairings to larger organizations or meetings. When folks do not say what they mean and others respond to false signals, the organization cannot possibly improve or mature. Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment